Avenger is one of the three class kits available to druids in Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition and Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition. Through intense training and rituals, these druid has three additional shapes they can shift into, while the normal druid has three..
These rituals have drained the druid physically, which results in having Strength and Constitution reduced by 2 points when the player creates a new character and they can only wear leather (not studded leather) or hide armor. Ankheg Plate Mail, which can be used by base-class (and multi/dual-class) Druids, is off-limits for the Avenger.
|Character ability||Min. requirement.||Max. number.|
- Prime Requisites for Dual-Classing. Humans Require a minimum of 15 in Wisdom and Charisma and a 17 in strength to dual class into a fighter..
Note: For the information of this table the human race was used, because they have no character bonunes/penalties related to race and therefore act like a 'neutral'. For other races this may be slightly different. See Ability Scores for more information.
Immunity to poisonEdit
At lvl 15, druids become immune to poison.
Druids gain 10% resistance to fire, cold, electricity and acid when they reach lvl 18. At lvl 21 and 24, they gain an additional bonus of 10%.
Druids unlock their shapeshifting abilities at lvl 7 and these are found under the special abilities menu. THAC0 progression in shapeshifted form is kept identical to the Druid's natural progression, although the form might gain (or lose) to-hit bonuses and damage due to strength modifications. They gain six different forms to shapeshift to (while regular Druids gain only three). The first three are identical to those of the regular Druid:
Kit-specific shapeshifting Edit
The additional three kit-specific shapeshifting forms of the Avenger are as follows.
Transform Sword Spider Edit
- Base AC: 2
- Strength: Set to 16.
- Dexterity: Set to 16.
- The Avenger gains a base of three attacks.
- The Avenger is permanently Hasted (which grants an additional attack, for a total of 4, and doubles movement rate).
- Each attack does 1d4 damage. On a failed Save vs. Poison the target will also take 2 hp/round of poison damage, lasting for six rounds.
- The Avenger is immune to webs.
This is arguably the best of the Avenger's special forms, since it can rush Spellcasters, interrupt and poison them (preventing them from casting at all) and the rapid attack rate is great at removing physical protections from enemy Mages. Finally, the immunity to Web works very well with the Web spell, which can be cast by Avengers from their Divine Scroll. Enemies are immobilized and can be attacked by the Avenger with impunity.
Transform Baby Wyvern Edit
- Base AC: 3.
- Strength is set to 18/76.
- Dexterity is set to 17.
- The Avenger gains a base of two attacks.
- Each attack does 2d4 damage and has a 25% chance of causing 3 points of poison damage (no save, and no lingering damage).
Transform Fire Salamander Edit
- Base AC: 2.
- Strength is set to 18/76.
- Dexterity is set to 19.
- 1 base attack per round, for 1d8 damage.
- Permanently Hasted, resulting in two attacks per round.
- 100% resistance to fire.
- Fire Shield (Red), dealing 1d8+2 fire damage to those who hit the Avenger. The 50% fire resistance of this effect does not stack with the 100% resistance to fire this form gains (so the Avenger does not have 150% resistance and is not healed by fire damage).
This is an effective form against those who would use fire damage, or to enter melee range while artillery casters are casting (or using wands of) Fireballs. With items to increase fire resistance further, fire damage will actively heal the Avenger, making this an effective tactic.
For the complete list of spells, see Spells (Baldur's Gate II). For the complete list of spell that can be used by clerics, druids and rangers, see Priest Spellbook (Baldur's Gate II). Here are all spells that can be used by druids.
High-level class abilitiesEdit
Druids receive quest level priest spells which are added to the level 7 spellbook. The spells can only be selected once. To druids, these abilities become avialable when they reach lvl 15.
- Aura of Flaming Death
- Elemental Summoning
- Elemental Transformation (Fire)
- Elemental Transformation (Earth)
- Energy Blades
- Globe of Blades
- Greater Elemental Summoning, requires elemental summoning to be picked first.
- Mass Raise Dead
- Storm of Vengeance
- Summon Deva, only one can be picked, picking summon fallen deva makes summon deva unavailable.
- Summon Fallen Deva
|1||2||3||4||5||6+||7++||Total # of spellslots|
Table for experience, hitpoints and weapon proficiencyEdit
|Level||Required experience||Hit Dice (d8)||Weapon proficiency|
|10||125,000||9 + 2|
|11||200,000||9 + 4|
|12||300,000||9 + 6||1|
|13||750,000||9 + 8|
|14||1,500,000||9 + 10|
|15||3,000,000||9 + 12|
|16||3,150,000||9 + 14||1|
|17||3,330,000||9 + 16|
|18||3,450,000||9 + 18|
|19||3,600,000||9 + 20|
|20||3,750,000||9 + 22||1|
|21||3,900,000||9 + 24|
|22||4,150,000||9 + 26|
|23||4,400,000||9 + 28|
|24||4,700,000||9 + 30||1|
|25||5,000,000||9 + 32|
|26||5,500,000||9 + 34|
|27||6,000,000||9 + 36|
|28||6,500,000||9 + 38||1|
|29||7,000,000||9 + 40|
|30||7,500,000||9 + 42|
|31||8,000,000||9 + 44|
|32||9 + 46||Total: 9|