Jan Jansen is available to recruit from Chapter 2. He can be found in Athkatla Government District where he is selling products without permission. He will offer to join your party immediately If don't tell the guard of his illegal selling activities, but if you do tell his bootleg, you'll have to pay 800 to get him out, which may worth the money as you receive a sum of XP this way, more if you borrow 200 then return it to the prison keeper.
- Jan Jansen Summoned Home (Don't delay too long in this quest if you want to keep him in party.)
Gameplay analysis Edit
Jan, Yoshimo and HexxatBGII:EE are the only thieves which can keep improving, though he's an illusionist, which means he's ruled out of many useful necromancy spells such as Skull Trap, Animate Dead, Finger of Death, and Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting.
When he joins the party, he has the following items which can only be used by him: Flasher Launcher, 10 x Flash Master Bruiser Mates, 10 x bolts, Jansen AdventureWear, Jansen Techno-Gloves, and Jansen Spectroscopes.
In-game biography Edit
|“||When asked about his past, Jan stops tinkering with his gadgets and states that, despite all claims to the contrary, turnip beer has wondrous medical properties in addition to it's fine taste.||”|
- "Don't yell, I can hear you just fine"
- "Jan Jansen, at your service"
- "You need my skills I see"
- "What? Is there a griffin about?"
- "Yes yes, a standard tactic that is"
- "At once your worship"
- "You sound like Golodon"
- "By uncle Spanky's thumb!"
- "Your knees are mine!"
- "Take that, turnip-hatin' scum!"
- "This isn't boring, I'll give it that"
- "I wonder if the turnip market is making a killing today?"
- "*burp* Pardon, turnip reflex
- "Ah, home sweet home. Wait, I don't live here"
- "You know, this reminds me of that time, waaaaay back..."
- "I think we'd make a fine partnership together, like Drizzt and Wulfgar. Elminster and Volo. We should go into vegetable patch marketing together"
- "None can see me now" (when hidden in shadows)
- "Ahhhh, this reminds me of thae turnip cellars...except Uncle Gerhardt isn't passed out by the turnip still in the corner..." (when underground)
- "I've set a trap for the feet of the unwary" (when successfully set a trap)
- "Well now, this is a fine turn of events. I haven't led a party since well... Uncle Scratchy turned sick with the pox and put me in charge. He just didn't trust the dwarf you see. Hopefully this time works out better than the last." (When made leader of party)
Jan is one of the most eccentric and chatty companions in Baldur's Gate. He is renowned for his variety of interests, which include turnip farming, gadgetry and tinkering, bootlegging, playing practical jokes on others and coming up with hyperbolic stories about imaginary acquaintances, among other things.
He loves to chat, but his stories are rarely coherent and make little logical sense. His stories usually revolve around made-up relatives that he makes up just for the given case and serve the sole purpose of amusing himself and/or his companions. Thus, he avoids giving out any information about his true beliefs and goals (if there are any).
- Jan Jansen is also an inventor, which explains the many odd items he has.
- Jan claims that he was once a deity, and complains that Helm knocked on his door early in the morning, much to his frustration.