Jared and the BearEditJared and the Bear is the quest to rescue Jared from the bear that is pursuing him (even though it stays at the other end of the bridge until such time as you decide to pursue it). The type of bear that you encounter may depend upon the party's level and/or the game version. A Polar Bear (66 hp, 900 xp) is normal for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition with a level 3 or higher party. In "classic" Baldur's Gate, a slightly weaker but identical-looking Mountain Bear (60 hp, 900 xp) may be the standard foe.
The rewards for this quest depend on the party leader's Reaction , which is a function of Charisma and Reputation:
- High Reaction (15+): 100 xp, Boots of the North
- Mid-level Reaction (8-14): 100 xp, 50 gp
- Low Reaction: (7-): 100 xp
In "classic" Baldur's Gate the xp reward for high and mid-level Reaction is 150 xp.
The journal entry identifies Jared as a merchant, but he has the "charming personality" that we come to associate with nobility in the game. You may regret having helped him if you pause long enough to read what he has to say.
- When you first speak to Jared:
- Oh, thank goodness someone came by. There's a bear on the other side of that bridge and it's coming this way! Please hold it off, I'll give you anything!
- While the quest is incomplete:
- What are you waiting for? You're adventurers, aren't you?
- Quest completed with Reaction 15+:
- Why, thank you. That old lumbering oaf could have had me there if it weren't for young lumbering oafs like yourselves. Here, if you're going to be wandering around these mountains for a while, you may need a better pair of boots. As for me, you couldn't pay me to stick around in this place.
- Quest completed with Reaction 8-14:
- Okay, not quite anything. Here's 50 gold pieces, though. Will that be... uh, all right?
In your Journal Edit
- Triggered By: Speaking to Jared
- Journal Section: Quests, Done Quests
- Quest Title: Jared and the Bear
- Entry Title: Jared and the Bear
- Quest Begins:
I have just met Jared, a lone and frightened merchant, in the wilds of these mountains. He has just fled some bears who have apparently laid claim to the other side of this bridge...
- Quest Completed:
I told Jared that I slew the bear. He did not linger after receiving the news.