|“||Gold runs the world kid, the faster ya learn that the better life'll treat ya.||”|
Kagain is available from Chapter 1. Travel to Beregost, you will find him in his shop next door to Feldepost's Inn, ask him about the service he runs and he will hire you to accompany him to find out why one of his caravans was missing. Accept this offer and he will join.
- Entar's Son (There's a timer for this quest)
Gameplay analysis Edit
Kagain has the highest HP of any companions in game, his 20 constitution also gives him a natural regeneration (1hp/min) which will generally allow him to regain a large amount of health when traveling between areas on the world map and whenever party rest. As a dwarf, he also has a 5 bonus to his Death, Wands and Spells saving throws due to his constitution score, making him an excellent tank character.
In spite of being evil, Kagain is a valuable, if temporary, addition to a good-aligned party, he will only leave the party if your reputation reaches 19.
It is best to recruit Kagain earlier. The reason for this is that his level 6 version got very low health rolls between levels 2 and 6. Assuming maximum rolls each level it is quite possible to have Kagain with 90 health at level 6 if you pick him up at level 1. This is a huge difference compared to the 60 health he would normally have if you get his level 6 version.
|Average party level||Level||XP||Gold||Hit Points||Weapon Proficiencies||Equipment|
|1.00 - 1.99||1||115||9||15 (Max possible:10+5)||
|2.00 - 2.99||2||2019||14||25 (Max possible:20+10)|
|3.00 - 4.99||4||8232||31||43 (Max possible:40+20)||
|5.00+||6||33839||69||60 (Max possible:60+30)||
- In Enhanced Edition, companions who are under-leveled at the time of joining will be given a certain amount of experience points (XP) for you to level them up manually to gain more control of their status.
In-Game Biography Edit
|“||When asked about his past, Kagain stresses that the questioner should just mind their own business if they want to keep their teeth. It is apparent that he runs a rather shady mercenary company and that he is quite obsessed with wealth, but any information beyond this he is content to keep to himself.||”|
- "Go pester someone else."
- "I need an ale."
- "I don't wanna talk."
- "-Buürp- sure."
- "The only thing better than gold, is more gold."
- "You pugs are starting to piss me off."
- "Gold runs the world kid, the faster ya learn that the better life'll treat ya."
- "If I had a copper for every moron I ran across, I could buy Baldur's Gate."
- "For the love o' money."
- "Why me?"
- "As leader I plan to make us stinkin' rich."
- "This dwarf's not feelin' too good."
- "Even a dwarf's got a limit to his stamina." (When tired)
Unlike most evil companions in Baldur's Gate, Kagain does not show any signs of psychotic behavior. Instead he is depicted as a cold-hearted and pragmatic mercenary who only cares about money and profit.