Katanas are single-edged one handed sword. These swords are probably the finest made as they can deal 1d10 points of slashing damage, which is the same as a two handed sword, but it has a speed factor of 4 and it weigs only 6 lbs. The weapon has a reach of 1 ft. It requires 6 strength to a wield a katana and they can't be used by clerics, druids, mages and sorcerers. This item appears in Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn and Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. It's the most expensive non-enchanted weapon.
|“||The katana is a single-edged, slightly curved sword that ends with a chisel point. The katana is perhaps one of the finest swords ever made, the steps to its creation a long and secret process, that is more art form than anything else. This blade is an important facet of Kara-Tur culture. To touch or wield a samurai's katana is to insult the samurai and to incite his wrath. For a gaijin, or foreigner, to own such a blade is a rare occurrence. Either the gaijin is a greatly honored friend of an important minister, or the gaijin has murdered a samurai.||”|
Baldur's Gate: Enhanced EditionEdit
- Candlekeep Inn, purchasable from Winthrop during Baldur's Gate Prologue, although it's the most expensive item in his store.
- Area West of High Hedge, dropped by Droth once slain in a Shoal the Nereid quest.
- Firewine Bridge, dropped by Kahrk (better suited for party mid to late game party members).
- Black Pits game mode, immediately after the introductory first round. After obtaining the weapon, the character would need to be exported then imported into a new game.
- Tutorial, if a character has Katana proficiency. It is not possible to export your character and carry it to the regular game, though.
- Katanas did not exist in original Baldur's Gate, but were added to Enhanced Edition, most likely to accommodate added proficiencies.
- For the ways to afford the Katana in Prologue, see Nobleman (Thurston), Firebead Elvenhair and Obe's Training for Oil of Speed-boosted stealing and identifying Dagger +1 for sale. It's also possible to steal the Katana from the shop directly with high enough Steal skill. Alternatively, evil characters can gain enough gold by killing and selling equipment of killed Watchers.
- With a character exported character from Black Pits with a katana and katana bought from Winthrop is is possible to dual wield 2 regular katanas at the beginning of the main game.