Laurel is a human paladin in the Bear River area north of Gnoll Stronghold that asks for your help to fight off a large group of gibberlings. Unless your party has a Reputation of seven or less, in which case she attacks you. She can be killed without penalty.
You will find her just west of the northern bridge, at 1275, 1115.
Laurel not only participates in her quest, she will fight any enemy that comes within her sight. For example, if you camp nearby and your rest is interrupted by monsters, or if you run past her with an enemy in pursuit.
The Gibberling HordesEdit
The Gibberling Hordes is the side quest from Laurel to fend off a herd of gibberlings. This quest has several unusual features:
- Laurel takes part in the fight, as very few quest-givers do. (Drizzt comes to mind)
- No need to hunt down the gibberlings, they come to you.
- In fact, the gibberlings don't even exist unless the quest is accepted.
Shortly after you accept the quest, a dozen gibberlings attack from the north, east and/or south.
The quest reward is 250 xp, plus you get 35 xp per gibberling killed and the loot from their corpses.
Who knew that gibberlings came in herds?
"Ah, I sense a party of adventurers that seeks to do good in the world. How would you like to fend off a herd of gibberlings?"
- 1:-Yes, we would gladly join you for a while.
- Wonderful. You should prepare yourselves. Fire magics work well against the gibberlings, so if you have such spells, use them.
- -or- (for reasons unknown,,, parties without a wizard, perhaps?)
- Wonderful. The gibberlings should be coming soon. You should prepare yourselves.
- 2:-No, thank you. A herd of gibberlings shouldn't be too much for an experienced paladin such as yourself.
- Aye, you are right. I have held them off nightly for two weeks straight now. Have a safe journey, friends.
When the fight is over:
|“||Gibberlings are a plague that must be wiped from the Sword Coast. Perhaps we will meet again.||”|
In your JournalEdit
- Triggered By: Speaking to Laurel and agreeing to fight the gibberlings
- Journal Section: Quests, Done Quests
- Quest Title: The Gibberling Hordes
- Entry Title: The Gibberling Hordes
- Quest Begins:
At the invitation of a paladin by the name of Laurel, I am to assist in this region's ongoing battle against the gibberling hordes. At her suggestion, I will prepare as much fire magic as possible, as it is said the beasts fear flames above all else.
- -or- (the non-fire version, see Dialog)
At the invitation of a paladin by the name of Laurel, I am to assist in this region's ongoing battle against the gibberling hordes.
- Quest Completed:
Laurel has introduced us to a most fascinating sport: gibberling hunting. We'll have to rest up and re-arm, but I dare say we shall visit her again.