Marl is an agressive drunk found in Feldepost's Inn. Depending on how you speak to him, he will most probably begin attacking you. If you choose the moral high ground and talk him out of a fight, you are rewarded 900 xp.
To calm him down, choose dialog options 1, 1, 3, 3, 1.
Alternatively, when he attacks you can use a spell or ability such as Charm Person to pacify him.
On the other hand, he's worth 650 xp to kill, which is certainly easy enough and faster to do, and you get some minor loot to make up for the xp missed. To fight him, just be rude to him.
If you kill Marl after you have calmed him down, you will lose Reputation.
The sequence of dialog responses needed to calm Marl down and win the 900 xp reward is:
- 1:- No need to get all bent out of shape. There's plenty of bar for us all.
- 1:- I just do what I think is right. We solve a lot more trouble than we cause. Well, very nearly anyways. Heh heh.
- 3:- Hold on! Everyone goes their own path, and I'll not be held accountable for what the Fates deal.
- 3:- If you knew him like you think, then ask yourself if he wouldn't have gone anyway. It's a calling you're born with. Nobody gives it to you.
- 1:- The realms call, and you go. He sounds a fine lad taken too soon, but doing what he was meant. If you'll suffer my company, I'll buy a round and toast his memory with you.
Note: These entries appear in the Journal section, not the Quests section.
- If you avoid the fight via dialog:
|“|| Marl's Loss
A man named Marl tried to pick a fight with me at Feldepost's Inn, but I was able to calm him down. Marl lost a son named Kennair Nethalin.''
- If you charm him:
|“|| Marl's Loss
When I charmed Marl, I learned that his son used to be an adventurer, and that he died in battle with monsters.''
- There will be no Journal entry if you kill him.