|“||A good blade must be fed. Find prey, or I'll find you.||”|
Montaron is available from Chapter 1. To hire him, travel to the Candlekeep Coastway. You will find him with Xzar along the path on the eastern side of the area (4515, 2705). Invite them to join, then agree to travel with them to Nashkel Mines.
Montaron has to pair with Xzar.
- Xzar and Montaron (This quest needs to be completed with in time limit or they leaves)
- Niemain in Sorcerous Sundries
- Montaron talks of killing party members, and it's not just bluff or bluster. If kept in the party long enough, he will provoke Khalid into a fight, If that happens, Jaheira will join Khalid to fight Montaron and Xzar to death.
Gameplay analysis Edit
|Average party level||Level||XP||Gold||Hit Points||Weapon Proficiencies||Equipment||Thief Skills|
|1.00 - 1.99||
||7||9 (Max possible:18/2)||
|2.00 - 2.99||
||15||12 (Max possible:25/2)||
|3.00 - 4.99||
||25||30 (Max possible:61/2)||
||33||48 (Max possible:97/2)||
- In Enhanced Edition, companions who are under-leveled at the time of joining will be given a certain amount of experience points (XP) for you to manually level them up to gain more control of their status.
In-game biography Edit
|“||When asked about his past, Montaron openly threatens you with bodily harm. He seems quite dangerous, and more than willing to engage in gratuitous violence. It would appear that he cares little for life, including his own. He works grudgingly with Xzar, even though he obviously despises the man. Whoever their employers are, they must be powerful indeeed. These two would likely kill each other without a presence over their head preventing it. Montaron might be willing to discuss the whole matter with you, but you get the feeling that you would probably not wake up the next morning.||”|
- "Ye spoke at me?"
- "This better be good."
- "What need ye dead?"
- "Go suck yer blade."
- "I'll do yer toil."
- "Sleep lightly, taskmaster"
- "Leave me be, lest your head leave your neck."
- "What part of "I'm a loner" do ye not understand?"
- "And the rivers run red!"
- "I warrant your attention?! Oh frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
- "Fool! Now we'll need another mule!" (when a companion dies).
- "Good or bad, You’ll go the way of all flesh"
- "Ye goody goodies make me sick!" (When reputation goes over 12)
- "A death be in me if I no get help." (When critical)
- "Dungeons! The dark be nice but blast this damp!" (In Dungeon)
- "Effective. I may not kill you after all." (When reputation sinks)
- "I be much preferring the cover of night o'er this blasted daylight" (At random during day)
- "I have no equal, but I prefer to work alone." (Chosen as group leader)
- "If I'm not allowed to sleep, our next assailants may just live." (Tired)
- "A good blade must be fed. Find prey, or I'll find you." (When not doing anything for a while)
- "Ye'll live longer if ye dont annoy me, mayhaps even a week or more." (Answering to Jaheira or Khalid)
- "And the mad Wizard falls! Saves me the trouble!" (If Xzar dies)
- "Yer wit be sharp as my blade! Do we exchange jabs, or will you cease yer prattle?!" (Answer to Khalid)
Montaron does not appear in Shadows of Amn, but Xzar wants you to search in the Harper Headquarter in the Athkatla Docks for him during a side-quest. You will soon find out that he has been polymorphed into a bird, which you give to Xzar, but when the bird is transformed in human form, you find out this is a trick, as the bird was not Montaron, but an assassin of the Harpers which kills Xzar. You can find Montaron's body in a chest in Harper Headquarter when visiting the building later.
Montaron is a very psychotic and aggressive character, threatening all his companions with bodily harm. He is also very reserved and secretive, using the usual threats to discourage nosing around.
Despite travelling with Xzar, Montaron despises the Necromancer and will express relief over his eventual demise. He also holds no respect to anyone in his party, looking at potential companions as pack-mules and potential victims rather than peers.