Paladins are warriors devoted to law, justice, piety and chivalry and are an example to others in society. For this reason paladins can only have an Alignment of Lawful Good. They can use all kinds of weapons and armor and have special abilities to fight and protect others from evil. Only humans may choose to be paladins when creating a new character. Though humans can generally dual-class, paladins cannot dual-class and cannot be dual-classed into.
A player character paladin can become fallen if they kill an innocent or if party Reputation drops below 7 (the same is true of rangers). Fallen paladins lose a lot of experience points and all of their paladin special abilities. Redemption is possible if, during the events of Baldur's Gate II, the player obtains a paladin stronghold and completes all class-specific quests associated with it.
Character abilities tableEdit
|Character Ability Score||Minimum Score||Blackguard^^|
During character creation, rolls below the minimum value for the class will be increased to that value. This table uses the values for Humans, other Races have modified ability scores.
^ Paladins have access to percentile Strength.
^^ The Blackguard class kit has a different set of minimum ability scores.
Special abilities of the paladinEdit
Priest and Paladins have the ability turn undead creatures. When this mode is activated and the undead creatures are in range of the character, there is a possibility the undead will stop attacking their targets and run away from the character until the effect is worn off. At higher levels, this mode may destroy undead.
Lay on handsEdit
This is a healing spell which heals 2 hitpoints for each level of the Paladin. A Paladin of level one will heal only two hitpoints, while at level four, this ability heals eight hitpoints. At lvl 8 it will heal 16 hitpoints.
This ability is like the spell . All evil aligned creatures will glow red.
Protection from evilEdit
This ability is like the spell Protection from Evil. All evil aligned creatures will receive a -2 penalty to their attack roll when targeting creatures protected by the spell, the protected creature receive +2 bonus to all saving throws from when targeted by evil creatures and also prevents creatures summoned by spells as Cacofiend, Summon Fiend and Gate.
Saving throws bonusEdit
They gain +2 bonus to all saving throws.
Paladins are able to use priest spells when they reach lvl 9. They may only use spells levels 1 to 4. Any spells which effects are based on the casting level of the user, are limited for paladins between spell levels 1 and 9. Between lvl 9 and 20, the paladin will gain one spell slot each time he/she levels up.
|Paladin lvl||Casting lvl||1||2||3||4|
In general, people think that all paladin kits are superior to the standard paladin, as they provide immunity to commonly used status effects and provide bonus abilities for minimal penalties.
A Cavalier is the knight known in stories, he/she is loyal, honorable and doesn't know fear, even when facing demons and dragons. Cavaliers have the following bonuses:
- +3 to-hit and damage against dragons and demons.
- May use the spell Remove Fear as an ability once every day for every level.
- Immune to fear, morale failure, poison and charm. Cannot be turned by evil clerics.
- 20% fire and acid resistance.
- Cannot use any ranged weapons, except throwing axes and daggers.
An Inquisitor has dedicated his life to finding and eliminating practitioners of evil magic and defeating the forces of darkness, and his god has provided him with special abilities to that end.
- May use the spell Dispel Magic once per day for every four levels as a special ability. The spell is cast with speed factor one and acts if the inquisitor is twice his/her level.
- May use the spell True Sight once per day for every four levels as a special ability.
- Immune to Hold and Charm.
- May not use the abilities Lay on Hands and Turn Undead.
- May not cast priest spells. May still learn Summon Deva high level ability.as a special ability.
An Undead Hunter is a specialist in destroying undead creatures such as vampires, zombies, skeletons and mummies. They have the following bonuses:
- +3 to-hit and damage against undead.
- Immune to Hold and Level Drain.
- Cannot use Lay on Hands.
Blackguard (Enhanced Edition Only)Edit
The Blackguard epitomizes evil and is nothing short of a mortal fiend. The quintessential black knight, this villain carries a reputation of the foulest sort that is very well deserved. Consorting with demons and devils and serving dark deities, the Blackguard is hated and feared by all. Some people call these villains "anti-paladins" due to their completely evil nature.
- Immune to level drain and fear.
- May turn undead as a Paladin of the same level.
- May use the Absorb Health ability once per day, which deals 2 points of damage per level to an enemy, healing the Blackguard the same number of Hit Points.
- May use the Poison Weapon ability once per day. Gains one use at level 1, one use at level 5, and an additional use every 5 levels thereafter. Each successful hit within the next 5 rounds will inject poison into the target. Each target can only be affected once per round. The amount of poison damage depends on the character's level:
1st - Target suffers 1 poison damage per second for 6 seconds (Save vs. Death at +1 negates)
5th - Target suffers 1 poison damage per second for 12 seconds (Save vs. Death negates), and also immediately suffers 2 poison damage (no save)
9th - Target suffers 1 poison damage per second for 18 seconds (Save vs. Death at -1 negates), and also immediately suffers 4 poison damage (no save)
13th - Target suffers 1 poison damage per second for 24 seconds (Save vs. Death at -2 negates), and also immediately suffers 6 poison damage (no save)
- 3rd level: May use the Aura of Despair ability once per day. When this ability is activated, all enemies within 30 feet of the Blackguard suffer ill effects based on the Blackguard's level:
3rd - All enemies suffer a -1 penalty to hit and damage rolls and a -2 penalty to Armor Class for 1 turn
6th - All enemies suffer a -2 penalty to hit and damage rolls and a -2 penalty to Armor Class for 1 turn
15th - All enemies suffer a -4 penalty to hit and damage rolls and a -4 penalty to Armor Class for 1 turn; enemies with 18 or fewer Hit Dice are panicked as well
- Blackguard status unaffected by reputation loss.
- Alignment restricted to evil.
- May not cast Detect Evil.
- May not cast Protection From Evil as an innate ability.
- May not use the Lay on Hands ability.
Blackguards also have a different minimum requirements than paladins:
Paladins receive a stronghold when they complete Rescue Gerran's Child from Firkraag.
Paladin Specific ItemsEdit
Paladins have access to two of the best weapons in Baldur's Gate 2 as well as a special pair of bracers. One is a two-handed sword, Carsomyr the Holy Avenger, that obliterates evil monsters and can cast dispel magics. The other is a bastard sword called the Purifier. The Paladin's Bracers introduced in Watcher's Keep are a Paladin only item, and can be further upgraded to the Blessed Bracers making it one of the best hand-slot items in the game.
High-level class abilitiesEdit
High-level class abilities are added in the expansion Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal. For all warrior classes and Monks, the pool of abilities can be accessed from the special abilities menu. These abilities are available to fighters as they near 3,000,000 xp. (exact lvl is not known).
- Power Attack, this ability can be selected as many times you like.
- Critical Strike, requires power attack. This ability can be selected as many times you like.
- Smite, requires power attack and critical strike. This ability can be selected only one time.
- Deathblow, this ability can be selected as many times you like.
- Greater Deathblow, requires deathblow. This ability can be selected as many times you like.
- Whirlwind, this ability can be selected as many times you like.
- Greater Whirlwind, it requires whirlwind. This ability can be selected as many times you like.
- War Cry, this ability can be selected as many times you like.
- Hardiness, this ability can be selected as many times you like.
- Resist Magic, this ability can be selected as many times you like.
- Summon Deva (Paladin only)
- Summon Fallen Deva (Blackguard only)
|Weapon Proficiency||Attacks per Round||HLA||Hit Dice (d10)|
|* Paladins gain a +2 bonus on Saving Throw rolls|