|“||Wha...Get back! Who are ye? More of Ramazith's trickery, or are ye paired with that snake Degrodel?||”|
Some years ago, the mage Degrodel hired a mercenary for an assault on the home of Ramazith, another mage from Baldur's Gate. Vail, which was his name, put together a small band, consisting of himself and another three fighters – Achen Dell, Cailan and Rance – and the conjurer Faizah Tin, with Cailan and Achen being new to their business. It was said that their target would be evil and only worthy of death. Unfortunately for the five, Ramazith was able to defend his tower well with a basilisk, he had under his control, and that creature's terrifying ability to turn flesh to stone. All of them were petrified and later sold by the diabolical mage to a collector as art objects. It was not until Degrodel learnt of a powerful trinket in the allegedly possession of one of the group and another band of mercenaries, that hope might arrive for them, to become relieved from their terrible state.
- Searching for Balduran's Helmet
- During the course of this quest, or by accidentally entering Felonius Gist's Manor, the statue might be revived by Gorion's Ward – he is the first in the row from left to right. Rance then either immediately leaves the area after a short conversation (if the quest hasn't been obtained) or gets reunited with his party. Their fate depends on the Ward's choices during the inquiry with Vail. However, Rance himself doesn't have any knowledge of the helmet's whereabouts and points at his comrades instead.
- Rance's real name isn't revealed in the game and can only be extrapolated from his creature file.
- The file also contains some more items, though these haven't a slot assigned and thus aren't accessible: a standard Helmet, a Longbow +1, opposed to the equipped unenchanted one, thirty-six Arrows +1 and further thirty Arrows +2.
- In the classic version of the game his weapon proficiencies have too many points assigned, regarding his level.