He approaches you as soon as you enter the building, and any response you give leads to a fight. He only does 1 damage on a successful hit, 2 on a critical hit, and he does not hit very often.
When you leave the building, a Journal entry will appear in the text pane of the game screen, unless you have already encountered Carbos in the Bunkhouse. This same text is saved as an untitled entry in the Journal section of your journal:
- Someone wishes me dead! Gorion is right to think we are no longer safe here, though I have no idea why someone would want to cause us harm. The attempt on my life may have been laughable, but I fear there will be more threats to come.
You will also be approached by Parda as you leave the building.
"Oh goodie goddie! I've gone and found ye first! You are the ward of Gorion no doubt?"
- 1:- I am. What can I do for you?
- Oh, our encounter shall be quite simple for you. Plainly put, I have made it my mission to end your life. Success will mean a little respect among my peers. So you see, you can do very little, except die!
- 2:- I do not recognize you. Who are you and what are you doing here?
- Who I am is unimportant, but who YOU are is very much so. I apologize for this dirty bit of business, but I must seek your death. A pity, I know, but it would seem your head is worth an exceptional amount to me. I kill you myself and I need not share credit with anyone.
- 3:- Leave me be! I have pressing matters that I must attend to.
- Far be it from me to keep you from your pressing matters, but I must insist on a moment of your time. The last moment, actually. I apologize for not fully explaining my motives, but I am on a rather tight schedule and exposition is simply not my forte.
Baldur's Gate II Edit
Both Shank and Carbos return (somehow) in Baldur's Gate II. They are found in the Bridge District of Athkatla, the capital city of Amn, where they fight over a woman named Bubbles. The victor is randomly determined, though Bubbles leaves out of boredom regardless of who survives.