Strength adjusts THAC0 and damage for all melee weapons as well as modifying damage for sling, thrown axes and thrown daggers. It also determines how much weight a character can carry, ability to bash doors, chests without lock-picking, and which items a character may wield.
Scores table Edit
(melee, sling, thrown axes/daggers)
|Weight Allowance lb.||Bashing|
Bashing works exactly the same as a thief's Pick Lock ability, allowing a strong character to open a locked door or chest by attacking it with a weapon, but does not grant experience for a successful lock bash, and cannot go above 80 points. Like Pick Lock, Bashing works on a threshold system - if you're within 5 points of the target lock's difficulty you have a 50% chance of bashing it successfully, while if you're equal to or greater than the lock's difficulty, it's guaranteed.
Min. strength requirement for Equipment Edit
These values are accurate for the base versions of these items. Enchanted or otherwise special versions may vary.
Strength score altering Edit
Permanent boosts Edit
- Manual of Gainful Exercise in Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition.
- Machine of Lum the Mad in Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal.
- Baldur's Gate II Chapter 2 - Hell, Test of Wrath. The reward for the 'evil path' is a +2 to your Strength.
- The Star card from the Deck of Many Things - grants +1 to your Strength if you are a fighter, paladin, ranger, barbarian, monk or fighter/thief.
Temporary altering potions Edit
These items set your Strength score to a specific value, may cause a reduction if Strength is already higher than the value.
- Potion of Strength
- Potion of Hill Giant Strength
- Potion of Stone Giant Strength
- Potion of Frost Giant Strength
- Potion of Fire Giant Strength
- Potion of Cloud Giant Strength
- Potion of Storm Giant Strength
These items set your Strength score to a specific value, may cause a reduction if Strength is already higher than the value, also render you immune to Strength-draining effects.
- Crom Faeyr
- Angurvadal +5
- Gauntlets of Ogre Power
- Girdle of Hill Giant Strength
- Girdle of Stone Giant Strength
- Girdle of Frost Giant Strength
- Girdle of Fire Giant Strength
- Mauler's Arm
- Shield of Balduran - inflicts a -1 penalty to Strength
- Harmonium Halberd
These spells set your Strength score to a specific value. With the exception of Draw Upon Holy Might,may cause a reduction if Strength is already higher than the value.