|“||Hope would return with the retrieval of the simplest of tomes... beneath the rubble... on the lowest floors... return hope... history is so important...||”|
–Ghost of Ulcaster
The goal of this quest is to get a copy of the History of the Sisters of Light and Darkness, found in the Vampiric Wolves' room in the Ulcaster Dungeon (co-ordinates 1400, 1070) (as well as two copies in Gullykin and one in Baldur's Gate West), and give it to Ulcaster.
Baldur's Gate: Enhanced EditionEdit
In the Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, this quest has been altered so that Ulcaster will only accept the book found in the Ulcaster Dungeon. It is, therefore, not repeatable. The book in this version is identified as Ulcaster's Dusty History Book in your inventory, although examination reveals it to be a History of the Sisters of Light and Darkness.
The 1000 xp reward for this quest may seem meagre, but the great many items to be collected in the dungeon make up for the lack of material rewards many times over.
In your JournalEdit
- Triggered By: Speaking to the Ghost of Ulcaster
- Journal Section: Quests
- Quest Title: Tomes of Magic
- Entry Title: Tomes of Magic
- Quest Begins:
The ghost of Ulcaster lingers in the ruins of his school, hoping someone will uncover some of the tomes buried beneath the rubble. Perhaps I can offer him some solace by finding them.
- Quest Completed: Special, morphs into Ulcaster's Ghost
- Journal Section: Done Quests
- Quest Title: Ulcaster's Ghost
- Entry Title: Ulcaster's Ghost
- Quest Completed:
I retrieved a book from the ruins of the Ulcaster School, and it seemed to restore some clarity to the specter of Ulcaster himself. He still haunts this place, but he is perhaps a little closer to letting go.BG
When I presented the ghost of Ulcaster with one of his lost books, he seemed to regain some of his frayed sanity.BG:EE
- Classic BG: As far as the journal entry for "completion" and the nearest location of the book imply (there is only one book!), this quest wasn't meant to be repeatable – which also was changed for the EE –, and the fact that the party gets 1,000 XP for each returned copy of the book has to be regarded as a bug.