|“||Shar, save me from the Spider Queen's vengeance.||”|
Viconia DeVir is available from Chapter 3. She can be found in the north-west corner of the Peldvale area, where she is being chased by a Flaming Fist officer. This officer wants to kill her and the party can prevent this from happening. If Gorion's Ward speaks to her after the battle, she will offer to join their party. If they side with officer, 800 XP will be awarded for killing her. You may also need high enough reaction for her to join you.
Recruiting her reduces the party's reputation by 2, because she is a drow and they are despised by the surface-dwelling races. If the party's reputation grows too high (19+) for Viconia's liking, or if she is removed from the party, she will then depart the game permanently.
- She'll end up fighting Ajantis
- She may come to blows with Kivan if they are in the same party for too long
Gameplay analysis Edit
She has a natural magic resistance of 50%, high dexterity score of 18, with the right equipment and spells, she can be an excellent tank.
Note that in original BG1, the MR applies against both enemy spells and friendly beneficial items/magic, which means healing or buffing Viconia can be a very frustrating affair, especially if she is in dire need of healing.
|Average party level||Level||XP||Gold||Hit Points||Weapon Proficiencies||Equipment|
|1.00 - 2.99||2||1603||0||12 (Max possible:16)||
|3.00 - 4.99||4||6134||0||18 (Max possible:32)||
|5.00+||6||27628||0||27 (Max possible:48)|
- In Enhanced Edition, companions who are under-leveled at the time of joining will be given a certain amount of experience points (XP) for you to manually level them up to gain more control of their status.
In-game biography Edit
|“||When asked about her past, Viconia reveals (quite proudly) that is she is a dark elf from the Underdark city of Menzoberranzan. She says very little about her reason for leaving that sunless realm, though separations from such a nature are never gentle. She claims she does no longer worship the spider goddess Lolth, a change that you even know is often fatal. Her new faith is in the night goddess Shar, an appropriate choice for a drow, though this is not a firm indication that she has given up the brutal ways of her people. She finds the Laws of the surface world quaint and and more than a little strange, but this is simply because of her lack of experience. Likewise she seems a bit naive about how her race is viewed by surface dwellers. Many will not give her the chance she seems to expect, and even being seen with her affect how people think of you. You know, that as a drow, she has resistance to magic, both beneficial and harmful.||”|
- "Surface-dwellers can be so stupid."
- "There is no roof to this world."
- "Male, fetch me something to eat!"
- "Kahless Nau"
- "Nightsinger, give me power."
- "Your forests seem very strange, and yet somehow familiar."
- "Oloth Zha?"
- "May darkness prevail."
- "Lil alurl! For Shar!" (when attacking)
- "Shar! Save me from the spider queen's vengeance."
- "You are one of the few among us whom I can respect."
- "The light, it burns." (Heard it in midday but also at dusk)
- '"Tis akin to my home, but home does not welcome me." (When underground)
- "Get away from me, surface scum!"
- "Death is not something to mourn." (When a party member dies)
Viconia is available by the end of Chapter 7 (SoD), she joins the fight against the Shining Lady's crusade and first shows up alongside her new companion (a duergar named Pfaug) in front of the Ducal Palace when the forces from Baldur's Gate set out to march against Dragonspear Castle. She can be recruited into the party here, for the loss of two reputation points. If not recruited or dismissed, she can be found within the Coalition Camp, where she can be re-recruited.
Viconia DeVir is available from Chapter 2. She can be found in Athkatla's Government District near the Prison, where she must be rescued from followers of Beshaba, who want to burn her on a stake. If you try to rescue her, this will provoke the followers to attack your party.
As Drow have gained extreme notoriety in the Forgotten Realms. Having Viconia in the party reduces the party's reputation by 2. This reputation loss is regained as soon as she is removed from the group.
- Viconia can be romanced by male player characters who are human, half-elf or halflingBGII:EE; she will not respond to elves, half-orcs, dwarves or gnomes.
- She will eventually come to blows with Keldorn if left in the same party for too long.
- She will also come to blows with Valygar if a certain noblewoman in the Government District is spoken to while they are both in the party.
Gameplay analysis Edit
Her wisdom has been improved by three points and her magic resistance has increased to 65%.
As an evil cleric, at high levels her Turn Undead will enable her control almost every enemy undead type (liches, vampires...), this can be exploited by using the Sanctuary spell and/or by casting Invisibility on her, then let her walk among the undead hordes. Beware though, activating her turning will also affect holy paladins, including Keldorn, but can be prevented with a Remove Fear spell.
Her strength of 10 restricts her from wearing heavy armor, but this problem can be solved by letting her equip Strength-boosting equipment such as Gauntlets of Ogre Power. Her AC will be rather decent due to the stackable bonus gained from her high dexterity score. She may also wear the lightweight Ankheg Plate Mail naturally.
However, her maximum Hit Points are rather low because she doesn't have any bonus from constitution. Though her Hit Points can still be boosted by the Helm of Balduran, or the Girdle of Fortitude and the Pale Green Ioun Stone, there aren't many HP-boosting items in game, so this is a major downside to Viconia's combat effectiveness. Stat-boosting spells like Draw Upon Holy Might become very important when Viconia joins a fight.
In general, Viconia's best utilized when she stays in the back row, buffing-up and healing the group's tanks and using her sling from afar. Using her in melee is not encouraged due to her low HP and sub-par THAC0. She is also equipment-dependent, requiring the right stat-boosting armor and weapons to be fully efficient.
In-game biography Edit
|“||When asked about her past, Viconia snarls that it is not your place to know such things of her. There is still pride in her voice when she speaks about the Underdark home of Menzoberranzan, but you get the feeling that there is nothing left for her there, her family and House most likely victims of typically vicious Drow 'politics'. She has continued in her worship of Night Goddess Shar, but that appears to have been her only boon to her exile. She seems sullen and bitter, and certainly has learned much of the intolerance she must face while living amongst surface peoples. Her natural abilities as a Drow have faded with time, also contributing to her lost sense of belonging.||”|
- "Jal Khaless?"
- "Trust is for the foolish... and the dead."
- "Yes, abbil?"
- "I shall follow your strength."
- "Usstan zhah dosst."
- "Destiny awaits!"
- "I am yours to command."
- "Shar guides my hand"
- "Nau natha."
- "No mercy for those that oppose us!"
- "Victory shall be ours, you know this."
- "The stink of the collected rivvin. How I despise them all"
- "I find this a most satisfactory arrangement." (When Reputation is low)
- "How long do you intend to crack your whip against my back? I say we stop now." (when tired)
- "I swim in memories at places such as this...most unpleasant memories." (When underground)
- "I am still unused to all this green and fragrant brightness...part of me yet looks for the hidden spider's web amongst all this." (When in a forest)
- "Vith'os!" (Critical hit)
- "My weapon is faulty!" (When weapon ineffective)
In general, Viconia tends to be cold and cruel, particularly when it suits her purposes. Due partly to her experience as a drow, she values strength and the ambition to dominate and tends to despise compassion as a weakness. Occasionally, she exhibits a slightly less vicious side to her, though.