It's very important for clerics and druids, as a high wisdom grants extra spell slots per spelllevel, the bonuses are cumulative, eg. a cleric with 15 wisdom will have two extra level 1 spellslots plus one extra level 2 spellslot. Rangers and paladins do not gain such bonus – their spell slots are determined solely by their level.
For non-caster classes, wisdom combined with intelligence only adds a bonus to lore bonus.
Though the original manuals suggest otherwise, it is worth noting that magic defence adjustment and spell failure % were not implemented in the games. So wisdom does not affect saving throws or a characters spell failure %.
Cumulative extra spell slots per spelllevel for cleric, druid
Permanent wisdom boostsEdit
- One can be found in Durlag's Tower.
- Another one can be found in the Underground passages below Candlekeep
- One can be found during the quest to remove the poison from your body which was injected by Marek, but it's required in to complete the quest. However you can kill/pickpocket the priestess you are meant to give it to without consequence.
- In Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, one point of wisdom can be gained when offering the last Tear of Bhaal in Hell.
- Machine of Lum the Mad in Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal
- The Star card from The Deck of Many Things: Grants +1 to your wisdom if you are a Cleric, Druid, Fighter/Cleric, Cleric/Thief, Fighter/Druid or Cleric/Ranger.