|“||We're all doomed.||”|
Xan is available from Chapter 2. He is found in the makeshift throne room in the Nashkel Mines, he can join the party to help defeat Mulahey. Note that he will leave if you turn him down, but when accepted then released from the party, he will remain where he is left to be recruited again if desired without protest, so there is absolutely no downside to accepting him.
He also appears in the Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn and Enhanced Edition tutorial, in which he explains how the wizard spells work.
- Xan and Ajantis don't like each other, as Xan sees Ajantis as a narrow minded man who sees people as either good or evil..
- Xan also hates Eldoth, as the bard is rude and also focused on benefiting himself. Xan suggests that Eldoth could do the whole party a favor by getting himself killed and he even has a special quote should Eldoth fall in battle, in which Xan expresses his joy on his demise.
- Xan is the victim of Viconia, who thinks that he is a weak man.
Gameplay analysis Edit
The most significant negative aspect regarding this elven wizard is his specialization as an enchanter: he can't use evocation Spells. That means no Magic Missile, no Fireball or Lightning Bolt, no Cloudkill, etc.
He does not have any possessions; he is injured and has no spells memorized when first encountered. There is a weapon by the name Moonblade in a nearby chest which can only be wielded by Xan. It is very powerful, but due to his low constitution and being a mage, he isn't of much use for melee combat. This lack of combat skills may be a downside to recruiting him. However, his charm spells are handy, if used tactically.
|Average party level||Level||XP||Gold||Hit Points||Weapon Proficiencies||Known Spells|
|1.00 - 2.99||2||2561||0||7 (Max possible:8)||
|3.00 - 4.99||4||10042||0||12 (Max possible:16)||
|5.00+||6||41549||0||17 (Max possible:24)||
- In Enhanced Edition, companions who are under-leveled at the time of joining will be given a certain amount of experience points (XP) for you to manually level them up to gain more control of their status.
In-game biography Edit
|“||When asked about his past, Xan wistfully speaks of his home in the elven stronghold of Evereska, and his role as a Greycloak. It was apparently decreed that he was to investigate the events of the iron shortage, determine who or what were the causes, and ascertain whether there was a greater threat to the region as a whole. This was definitely not a small task, and he accepted the responsibility with a great deal of dread. You get the feeling, however, that he approaches everything with a great deal of dread. He has devoted his life to improvising his mastery of magic and has become a skilled wizard, though his dedication has left him little time to make friends or acquire any other pastimes. He strikes you as very capable, though probably not the best influence on morale.||”|
- "I thank you for my freedom, friend, for I have languished in these dismal vaults too long."
- "We're all doomed."
- "Our quest is vain."
- "Oh, what is the point?!"
- "I feel around you I might have a chance"
- "We're all doomed! Run while we're still able." (When morale fails.)
- "I thank you for my freedom, friends, for I have languished in these dismal vaults too long." (when first met in the Nashkel Mines
- "Onward, to futility."
- "Oh, perhaps we'll survive longer than I had originally thought!"
- "It seems our resident suicide monger, Ajantis, lives in a black and white world."
- "This group is especially hopeless today."
- "Keep up this evil and we're deservedly doomed." (when party reputation is low)
- "We delude ourselves to think our pitiable band will stand up to our enemies."
- "I cannot abide by these actions. I must take my leave from this barbaric fellowship!" (when leaving the party)
- "Eldoth, could you stand away from me - the stench is somewhat unnerving!"
- "While leader, I will endeavour not to get all of us killed!" (when he is made a leader of the group.)
- "The bustle of the city makes me feel insignificant." (when he is in urban areas)
- "Certainly, I shall collapse from exhaustion before I fall on the battlefield." (when Xan is tired)
- "The sun shines, and I am amazed we live to see another day."
- "If we are doomed to fail, could we at least do it faster!?" (when standing idle?)
- "The majesty of the forest makes me feel... insignificant."(when he is in a forest)
- "Do not think I will endure your insults indefinitely."
- "I would grieve for Eldoth, if it were not for the sense of joy I now feel!"
- "Have you ever wondered how hollow your convictions sound, Ajantis?"
- "Perhaps, Eldoth, you could be a little more polite to our companions?"
- "My wounds are too grave. I am a dead man." (when his hitpoints are low).
- "You could do us all a favour, Eldoth, by getting killed in the next battle."
- "Let us save our effort and just lie down and die!"
- "Around you, I almost feel that we have a chance!"
- "I'll do what I can, but expect very little."
- "It is hardly worth the effort of trying."
- "Another victim in our hopeless crusade." (when a party member dies)
- "Your stupidity makes you a doomed man."
- "Well, with you as my companion, who needs enemies?"
- "Life is so hollow."
- "I hope what you say was well-intentioned."
- "If I'd wanted your opinion, I would have asked for it."
Xan is very pessimistic, and often makes negative comments while expressing surprise at success. Every now and then, a slight optimistic comment escapes him. His excessive gloom, despondency and moroseness is received differently by players, some find to be humorous, others might be annoyed by it.