|“||Mommy, I don't feel so good.||”|
Xzar has to pair with Montaron.
- Xzar and Montaron (This quest needs to be completed with in time limit or they leaves)
- Niemain in Sorcerous Sundries
- Montaron will eventually provoke Khalid into a fight, If that happens, Jaheira will join Khalid to fight Montaron and Xzar to death.
- Despite traveling with Montaron, he shows little respect for him to the extent of being indifferent in case of the latter's death.
Gameplay analysis Edit
Xzar's high intelligence, dexterity and wisdom scores mean he can be dual classed into either a thief or a cleric using either the Manual of Quickness of Action or Tome of Understanding, respectively.
|Average party level||Level||XP||Gold||Hit Points||Weapon Proficiencies||Equipment||Known Spells|
|1.00 - 1.99||1||58||3||4 (Max possible:4)||
|2.00 - 2.99||2||2539||11||6 (Max possible:8)|
|3.00 - 4.99||4||10186||31||8 (Max possible:16)|
|5.00+||6||41302||52||12 (Max possible:24)||
- In Enhanced Edition, companions who are under-leveled at the time of joining will be given a certain amount of experience points (XP) for you to manually level them up to gain more control of their status.
In-game biography Edit
|“||When asked his past, Xzar has very few coherent things to say. His desire to determine the cause of the iron shortage seems benevolent enough, but his motives remain unclear. His ramblings seem disjointed, but his faculties are obviously in good enough order for him to be adept at magic. He mutters something about how he and his associate Montaron are in the employ of a powerful group, but when pressed for details he gets extremely agitated and does not speak for some time. He is obviously at least partially insane, and the network that would hire him must be dark indeed.||”|
- "A child wandering the wilderness? Surely you must be none too bright to be traveling these roads."
- "Something troubling you?"
- "Your voice is ambrosia."
- "If I must!"
- "I could do no other." (when instructed to move)
- "Hardly worth my time." (when instructed to move)
- "Tell me 'bout the rabbits."
- "I'll teach yer grandmother to suck eggs!"
- "Those the gods wish to destroy they first make mad! (Laughing like a maniac)"
- "I know of dragons with feet like rabbits, 'tis true, I swear."
- "I ate his liver with a nice chianti and some fava beans."
- "I am become Death, destroyer of worlds!" (when attacking with a weapon)
- "Could we cease the incessant noise?! 'Tis such a pain behind the eyes!"
- "Stop touching me!" (In a child-like voice)
- "Smiles everyone smiles, this is like some great fantasy." (In a child-like voice)
- "Mommy, I don't feel so good." (In a child-like voice when critical health)
- "A wise choise for a leader <laughs>." (Chosen as leader)
- "I’m starting to find this group almost... palatable.” (Group reputation sinking)
- "I tire! I’ll be much more agreeable with rest." (Tired)
- "Much as I enjoy these moments of repose, GET A MOVE ON IT!" (Not doing anything for a while)
- "Montaron, you are so aggravating! 'Tis disturbing to my demeanor!" (When first met)
- "I wanted infravision like the elves, but tis' more than just taking their eyes" (At night)
- "A cutthroat in every alley, but I’ll not let them take us alive!" (In Big city)
- "Must we be so insufferably charitable?!" (When Reputation goes over 12)
- "Oh, I'm never quite so comfortable as when I'm at least 6 feet under." (In Dungeon)
- "Montaron! I... I never loved you!" (If Montaron is killed in-game)
- "Oh speak no more, lest ye gorge my sweet tooth!" (Answer to Jaheira or Khalid)
- "Why must you goad us into other people's concerns? Can you not just let us mind our own enterprise?" (Reply to Jaheira or Khalid before fighting)
- "I begin to see your true nature, and 'tis as I expected. None are as insufferably righteous as Harpers."
- "I've no wish to strain our relationship, but you did promise to go to Nashkel. Our delay is making me rather... tense. I'm not nice when I'm tense."
In the Shadows of Amn, Xzar will be in the Athkatla Docks, but only after you have given a man called Renfeld to someone named Rylock. Xzar will say that Montaron has been captured by the Harpers in Harper Hold. He will end up believing that Montaron has been transformed into a bird and will so collect the bird, though the bird is actually an assassin who will kill Xzar.
Xzar is an extremely psychotic character, most probably suffering from schizophrenia, as his dialogue implies that he exhibits the characteristics of at least 2 personalities, including a girl ("Mommy, I don't feel so good."), is hearing voices and has a constant headache ("Could we cease the incessant noise?! 'Tis such a pain behind the eyes!"). Xzar seems strangely aware of his madness at times, stating that "Those the gods wish to destroy they first make mad!"
In Baldur's Gate II it is also revealed that Xzar is also a proponent of torture, using it as means to discipline his apprentices.